2/24/2010

Strawberry Dream Cake!


We were celebrating my daughters baptism this weekend and although my sister-in-law was bringing dessert I was afraid it was going to be chocolate.
My daughter hates chocolate...
Yes, I am sure she is my child!

My sister had made this cake earlier in the week and told me how good it was so I thought I would try it. Things got really busy and she happened to walk in as I was yelling at kids to get out the door for softball. She volunteered to take the little ones back to her apt. and bake the cake.
I love her!


So, I started with an already baked cake. Actually, 2 cakes in 9 in. round pans. 
I cut them in half and made my own frosting. 
I had the cake with the frosting below. but I wanted to try it my way! 
Basic frosting:
1 stick butter soft
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. milk
1 bag powered sugar



I also added a little strawberry preserves to each layer for some flavor and color!



My cake decorating skills are not the greatest, but the cake usually tastes good, thats all that counts right?




I kept this cake in the fridge from the beginning, that made it really good! 
I think next time, I will add a little red food coloring to the batter, just a little, to give it a little more color! A really good cake I would make again!

Strawberry Dream Cake

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen sweetened strawberries, pureed
  • 12 ounces cream cheese
  • 8 (1 ounce) squares white chocolate
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1/2 pint sliced fresh strawberries

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch round cake pans.
  2. Make cake per directions except substitute the 1 1/2 cups of strawberries for the water and add 1 extra egg, (if cake mix calls for 2 eggs add 3), and 8 ounces of the cream cheese at room temperature. Beat well and pour into the prepared pans.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the center will not come out clean when this cake is done since it is so moist. Let cake cool fully before frosting.
  4. To Make Frosting: Heat the heavy cream until just beginning to boil. Pour it over the white chocolate (chopped) and the remaining 4 ounces cream cheese. Mix well and let cool. Once cool fold into the whipped topping. Use to frost cooled cake and garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.

Photobucket

1 comment:

~Mo~ said...

Thanks, I'm going to try and make a cake for tifani's birthday. I want frosting middles, dh and bil want strawberry filling, so now I can do it your way, and we can all be happy! I tried the cake about a month ago, and it stuff to the pan. My mom told me trace the pan out on wax paper, grease and flour your pan with wax paper, and it'll be perfect and it was!